[H-GEN] sparc station 5 ram

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Sun Jun 30 18:17:50 EDT 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:49:47 +1000 (EST) "Robert Brockway" <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Peter Arnold wrote:
> > I would be surprised if the SS5 was not supported by Solaris 9.... I've
> > just installed it on an LX and an SS10 with no probs... apart from speed :)
> Ok cool :)  I'm surprised the LX is supported.  Just about everything
> below that got the chop in Sol8 (or so I remember :)  The manual usually
> clearly states newly deprecated platforms anyway.

The sparcstation 4/5/10/20/classic/LX/LX+ are supported by Solaris 9. Their end
of support status was not announced with the Solaris 9 FCS documentation and
they are explicitly listed in the "Solaris 9 Sun Hardware Platform Guide" dated
May 2002 on page 2. We announce end of support the release (includes update
releases) before it actually happens, so if you check the Solaris 8 doco then
you'll note that AP, the sun4d and sun4c architectures were listed in the
end of support statements "for a future release" which just happens to the
current version, Solaris 9. We don't have "deprecated platforms" btw - if you
try to use unsupported hardware like sun4c with Solaris 8 or sun4d with 9
then you'll get nasty messages from the installer ;|

James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim CPR Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW

Failfast panic: those controlling voices in my head have
stopped telling me what to do.....