[H-GEN] Moving raided hard drives to a new machine (fwd)

Robert Stanford rob at rotapile.com
Fri Jun 21 04:46:43 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 13:07, Johann Kwiatkowski wrote:

> Hi Everyone, just a quick question,
> 	I am upgrading my server to a faster machine, the old server has a
> raid 5 setup. I want to install these raided disks into a new machine. However
> the hard drive positions will change. So to start with I have
>
> raidtab file:
> raiddev		/dev/md0
> raid-level		5
> nr-raid-disks		3
> chunk-size		64k
> persistent-superblock	1
> #nr-spare-disks		0
>      device		/dev/hda1
>      raid-disk		0
>      device		/dev/hdb1
>      raid-disk		1
>      device		/dev/hdc1
>      raid-disk		2
>
> and I edit the new raidtab file so that the new postions will be
>
> raid disk 0 = hde1
> raid disk 1 = hdf1
> raid disk 2 = hdg1
you have persistent superblock enabled hence:

>From the raidtab man page

persistent-superblock 0/1
              newly  created  RAID arrays should use a persistent
              superblock. A persistent superblock is a small disk
              area allocated at the end of each RAID device, this
              helps the kernel to safely detect RAID devices even
              if  disks have been moved between SCSI controllers.
              It can be used for RAID0/LINEAR arrays too, to pro­
              tect  against  accidental  disk mixups.........

Read on and you should see that if you have the partition type set to fd
then the kernel should autodetect the array at boot, this is assuming
your kernel is configured to do so. I'd try moving your raidtab aside
and see what appears in /proc/mdstat

Robert Stanford