[H-GEN] Small-time conslutting work and the Tax system?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Mon Jun 17 22:48:46 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:36:56PM +1000, Mark Suter wrote:
> On 2002-06-18, Christopher Biggs wrote:
> > If I don't expect to turn over more than a few grand, do I need to
> > bother with the ABN, GST hoopla?   What about other tax reporting
> > issues?

You don't have to charge GST, if you don't provide an ABN the people
you do the work for are supposed to / allowed to withhold ~50% of your
fee and give that to the ATO which you can claim back in your return.
Registering for an ABN is supposed to be fairly easy (my parents are
accountants, so this was true for me, anyway... :)

> Scream at the right people:
>     http://zwitterion.org/link/hbtdCIXEZPh+Kg4x8goscw1YsOI

Trying to call up the ATO the last few days has apparently resulted in
endless engaged signals, and the occassional connection that results in
hold music and "You have advanced in the queue!" until you're frustrated
enough to hang up...

It might be nice to include the domain name in your shortened urls,
so people can guess where they go?

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''