[H-GEN] possible 2 create self executing tar.gz's?

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Mon Jun 10 20:27:49 EDT 2002

Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Matthew Taylor wrote:
>
> | Curious how one would do this under unix. The unix versions of the sun
> | jdk are distributed in this manner [1],
>
> It would be simple enough to do -- but why would you want to?

So you don't have to explain "tee ay arr space eks eff ..." to Linux
weenies who ask "what do I click on in KDE to install $PACKAGE".

Since there is no agreed upon common Linux package format, this is an
often used method of distributing commerical software for Linux.  (I
maintain one of these at ork).

> | I vaguely recall other packages
> | I've used that are similar. any ideas how to do this under *nix?

Matthew, here's a document that explains how to do it using a shell
script header:

        http://linux.org.mt/article/selfextract

--cjb

--
 Christopher J Biggs \ chris at stallion.oz.au \ Vice-Pope Torture & Indulgences
 Stallion Technologies\ Brisbane,  Australia \   Holy Church of Givashitology