[H-GEN] DNS Pains

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Mon Jul 29 23:08:54 EDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Greg Black wrote:

> Nikolai Lusan wrote:
>
> No idea about this one.  The right answer is provided by the
> authoritative name servers and the web server there is giving
> the expected data.

I have some suspicions about this one now ... after my nameserver
stopped getting info on this domain I noticed some inconsistancies in
the whois information:

homebrew:/var# whois noosaweddingring.com

<SNIP>

   Domain Name: NOOSAWEDDINGRING.COM
   Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.register.com
   Referral URL: http://www.register.com
   Name Server: NS1.EXA.COM.AU
   Name Server: NS2.EXA.COM.AU
   Updated Date: 07-feb-2002

<SNIP>
   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.EXA.COM.AU                                    202.3.42.65
   NS2.EXA.COM.AU                                    202.3.42.65

These nameserver details don't gel with the details from a successful dig:

kiev:/etc/bind# dig www.noosaweddingring.com

<SNIP>

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
noosaweddingring.com.   77702   IN      NS      ns1.exa.com.au.
noosaweddingring.com.   77702   IN      NS      ns2.exa.com.au.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.exa.com.au.         77700   IN      A       210.11.140.120
ns2.exa.com.au.         77700   IN      A       195.218.81.62

kiev is my dialup machine and as a test I set it up with no forwarding
bind as a test. The results on kiev where the same as ones from a
machine outside the network. Also midori (the nameserver here) is no
longer doing a dig or host for www.noosaweddingring.com, it returns:

midori:~# dig  www.noosaweddingring.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.noosaweddingring.com
;; res_nsend to server default -- 202.165.0.67: Connection timed out

I am assuming this is a timeout with 202.3.42.65 because if I specify
210.11.140.120 as the server to dig at (dig @210.11.140.120) I get a
correct response.

> You may have some wrong data cached somewhere -- but the info
> above is not sufficient to diagnose it.

Is it sufficient now? :)  I am at a loss, considering I can get I get
healthy resolution of most .com addresses and this is my first known
failure and it is not a blanket failure ...

> | Then we noticed another oddity while trying to follow a
> | slashdot link, www.ocmelbourne.com was not reporting an A name in a dig
> | or host but ocmelbourne.com was - and in both cases the correct the
> | authoritave servers were being reported.
>
> This one is different.  The name servers for ocmelbourne.com are
> ns1.olchosting.net and ns2.olchosting.net and both of them give
> NXDOMAIN responses to an A query for www.ocmelbourne.com -- so
> there's just no way that name is going to work.

This one must have been temporary (prolly to deal with a slashdotting)
because it resolves fine now :)

> It looks more likely that your network has an internal problem.

If it's an internal problem I'm damned if I can figure out where it is.
It just seems odd that it is this one domain that is having a problem.

Nikolai