[H-GEN] what to do with old P100, P200?

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Tue Jul 30 03:13:05 EDT 2002

David Starkoff <dbs at uq.net.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> At 2002-07-30T00:48-0400, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
>
>> Has anyone seen a truly innovative window manager recently?
>
> Ratpoison <http://ratpoison.sourceforge.net/>!

Tried it, laughed myself silly at its indescribable elegance (iScreen
for X!), but didn't stick with it because I sometimes get extravagant
and desire maybe as many as *two* windows on screen at once.  :-)

I've been using "larswm" for some time now.   It's minimalist like
ratpoison, but auto-tiles your windows in two columns, rather than
bringing one window at a time to the full screen.    The  tiling can
be configured so that some apps get tiled, while others can have
whatever screen space they like, while still others reside in a sticky
"toolbar" area.   At ork I run dual monitors (as separate displays,
not using xinerama) and larswm works better than any other window
manager I've encountered in this arrangement.

At home I use "wmx" (an offshoot of wm2), which is minimalist, but
nonetheless stylish.

BTW, it so happens that all the above window managers descend from the
9wm codebase.

--cjb

--
| Christopher J. Biggs -|- R & D Software Engineer --  Stallion Technologies |
| chris at stallion.oz.au -|- If it isn't broken, I just haven't touched it yet |