[H-GEN] Solaris Question (Clarification)

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Sun Jul 14 18:21:46 EDT 2002

I've asked around internally and got responses from two networking gurus on
Scott's question:

Response 1:
That's a pretty hard thing to do in general.  The customer might be
able to make such measurements with the help of some [expensive]
network analysis tools, such as those available from Ixia, but I don't
know of any Solaris-based tools that wouldn't suffer from rather
substantial measurement error.

Response 2:
I guess it depends what sort of duration we're talking about.
You could capture a snoop trace, and then post-process this
to match responses to requests and work out the timing. This
would probably work fine if the response times are of the order
of a second and the system isn't too heavily loaded (and you can
use non-promisuous mode snoop for this).
A variation would be to run snoop on a separate system (and if
possible on an interface not plumbed under IP), although you'll
have to arrange that it can see all the traffic (which won't
necessarily be the case for switched ethernet). OTOH, you just
built a network analysis tool, so unless you already have the
spare hardware around you would do better to obtain a purpose
designed tool as Jim said above.

So there you have it -- you can't really do what you want for free
in realtime ;¦

brgds,
James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim CPR Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW

Failfast panic: those controlling voices in my head have
stopped telling me what to do.....