[H-GEN] Solaris Question (Clarification)

Scott Pullen spullen at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 12 07:56:29 EDT 2002

James thanks for that.  I have already tried looking at the netstat man
pages but it only lists the number of packets and not how "busy" this
keeps the nics.  The server is a proxy and I want to monitor the traffic
back into the network and out over the 'net'.

Everyone keeps telling me that you can't find out how busy the nic is
because the kernel just routes packets to the nic for transmission and
is not interested at what speed it is running.  Fair enough, is there a
tool that will tell me how long the wait queue is for transmission or
the average service time for a packet? ( similiar to the iostat output
for disks )  That will more than do to tell me how 'congested' the links
are.

Do I have to resort to something as crude as a ping response time (which
has too many variables in it) to at least get some idea.  Or is the only
way to set up ntp on either end and use those statics (still the
variables issue)?  Any suggestions (as long as they are constructive
:~)3  ) would be welcome.  Can someone tell me if the kernel even keeps
these types of stats?

Cheers,

Scott.