[H-GEN] The Future of Packaging

Brenton Bills billsb at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 12 02:41:13 EDT 2002

www.gentoo.org, a ports like system for linux,

>From the website,

"Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution for x86,
PowerPC, Sparc and Sparc64 that's geared towards Linux power users. Unlike other
distros, Gentoo Linux has an advanced package management system called Portage.
Portage is a true ports system in the tradition of BSD ports, but is Python-based
and sports a number of advanced features including dependencies, fine-grained package
management, "fake" (OpenBSD-style) installs, path sandboxing, safe unmerging, system
profiles, virtual packages, config file management, and more."

Your original request for multiple platforms is not quite satisfied, as only,
"x86, PowerPC, Sparc and Sparc64" are supported.

Thanks,
	Brenton Bills.