[H-GEN] boot failure at partition check?

Steven McIntyre stev at uq.net.au
Wed Jul 10 23:26:57 EDT 2002

> I've got a problem booting RH7.2 on a x86 machine. Lilo does it's thing, the
> kernel begins to load, but the machine hard-locks at the "partition check:
> hda" point. The machine is booting off a 30Gb IDE HDD, partitioned as 5Gb
> linux (ext2), 5Gb Win2k (NTFS), and 20Gb data (fat32 - to interoperate with
> both OS's). Any help would be appreciated.

  This can be caused by hardware failure, I'd eliminate this by
a hard utility to scan the drive.  Seagate etc have software that
can be downloaded to determine if the drive should be returned to
the manufacturer etc.

  Alternatively try the HDD in another machine (to cover the possibility
of a problem with the IDE interface) and try disabling DMA from the BIOS.
I've seen DMA settings screw up too many machines.

--

Steven McIntyre
stev at uq.net.au