[H-GEN] network printer

Robert Stanford rob at rotapile.com
Sun Jul 7 18:15:08 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 19:28, Shaun Nykvist wrote:

> hi all
>
> I am running a debian linux server (not using x) and have set up
> samba successfully as a pdc, however I am having trouble trying to
> set up a hp4m plus with a jet direct card configured on
> 192.168.1.10.  Can someone steer me in the right direction for
> setting up this network printer under debian.  I have read the
> howtos and numerous mans without too much success

Have a look at cups

debs you need are

ii  cupsomatic-ppd 0.20010420-4   cups printer ppd's from
LinuxPrinting.org
ii  cupsys         1.1.14-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
server
ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.14-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD
comman

once installed and cups is running connect to  http://localhost:631
You should be alright after that.

Also test the printer is listening,  telnet 192.168.1.10 9100
type a bit and then hit ctrl L and a page should spit out the printer.
Atleast it does when you use the lp_server jetdirect emulator on a pc.

Robert Stanford