[H-GEN] Problem with Irix disc drive / file system.

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Jan 10 20:25:02 EST 2002

Ewan Edwards wrote:

| At this point I am thinking that maybe there is an area of the disc surface
| that has become defective.  My main problem is that I don't know enough about
| Irix or SGI systems to know how to proceed from here, or, if there are any
| utilities etc. that I might be able to use to salvage the file system and/or
| any data off the disc.

This is why we make backups and now is the time to get them out
so you can restore your data to the new disk you are going to
install to replace that dead one which you're going to toss in
the bin.

Of course, if there are no backups and if the data is really
very important and can only be found on the dead disk and if you
have the budget for it, you can try to get a professional data
restoration done -- but don't stress the disk any more yourself
in that case.