[H-GEN] Tape Drives

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 6 02:51:22 EST 2002

Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> writes:

> To be honest I'm not sure why people seem so resistent to the idea that
> backups should be simple.  Too often I see people implement elaborate
> backup routines (Jason none of this applies to you guys) but don't regard
> how they will restore under optimal conditions, let alone poor conditions.

> If you do, how do you restore that data to the (remote) system
> without having to jump through hoops to do so?

There's a fabu little tool that solves that question quite nicely:
netcat!  (The binary is often called `nc', but the program is called
`netcat'.)  It is so mind-bogglingly useful that I even forgive the
author a few annoying foibles with irritate me when I try to use it (I
should simply send a patch, but eh, oh well).

somehost$ [grab data from tape] | nc [otherhost] [port]
otherhost$ nc -l -p [port] | [restore]

Works great.  Less filling!
--
| Men are Figs!                               http://linux.org.au/conf/ |