[H-GEN] predicting/recognising HD failure (was Tape Drives)

Matthew Taylor bmatthewtaylor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 23:35:05 EST 2002

got curious just now along the lines of 'recognising when a drive is about to
fail' , saw this
http://www.storage.ibm.com/ipl/oem/tech/pfa.htm
and had a look at
man fsck

As I understand it fsck (normally) runs in standard startup scripts, and
unless the previous powerdown bypassed the shutdown scripts, no errors should
be reported (normally).

Would it be feasable to write a short script to email the admin a specific
warning if fsck detected a level of errors above some threshold? [nb: I
confess, I dont read my startup logs regularly, where some of this
information is normally provided.]

NB: This should not be relied upon to bypass 'good' physical backup
procedures.

I suspect many raid  installations have self monitoring routines already
installed. Comments from those who use raid?

Mat.