[H-GEN] Tape Drives

Patrick Nichols pat at humbug.org.au
Sat Jan 5 03:07:59 EST 2002

Since I've started at my new job this week I've been put in charge of
building a server.  Money is a factor in this operation.

I'm going to put two IDE drives in software raid 1, and need a tape
drive to perform backups on this system.  Drive space is likely to be
40 GB.

I've come across the Onstream ADR 30/60 Internal IDE unit for $1325 and
was wondering what opinions were about tape drives.  ADR seems to be
a relatively unknown standard.

Basically I'm looking for a recommendation on what to buy that will be
able to back up 40 GB on one tape.  Remember price is important, but I
don't want to be buying crap.

On a side note, I know nothing of backup plans.  What is a sound plan
and how many tapes would I require.

-pat