[H-GEN] WEB PAGES - PERMISSION REFUSED

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Wed Feb 27 02:00:29 EST 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Rick Phillips wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance but what is a "Zone File"
A zone file tells the name server what relates to what, if you are not
hosting domains then you don't really need to worry about it.

For example one of my zone files starts:

                IN      NS      midori.universal.net.au.
                IN      NS      tiamaria.universal.net.au.
                IN      NS      ns1.telstra.net.
                IN      A       202.165.0.67
        10800   IN      MX      10 midori
        10800   IN      MX      20 tiamaria

This specifies the name server and mail exchange records for the
universal.net.au domain (the information is available through host or
nslookup).

it then goes on with stuff like:

midori          IN      A       202.165.0.67
                IN      MX 10   midori
tiamaria        IN      A       202.165.0.68
                IN      MX 10   midori
intmx           IN      MX 10   tiamaria
                IN      MX 20   midori
vodka           IN      A       202.165.0.69
                IN      MX 10   midori
smtp    300     IN      CNAME   midori
pop     300     IN      CNAME   midori
pop3    300     IN      CNAME   midori
mail  300       IN      CNAME   midori
www     10800   IN      CNAME   midori

This stuff just gives IP addresses to names and sets mail exchanger
records for individual machines.

In short the zone file is the heart of a domain name server, it is where
the actual information lives.

I don't think that you have much control over them or that you need to
worry about them.

Nikolai