[H-GEN] Destination Host Unreachable

Robert Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Sun Feb 17 23:04:50 EST 2002

Paul Cornford wrote:

>> Splat. Driver problem, it seems. What brand and model of card is it>

>  From the manual it appears to be a CE Turbo NE2000. A number at the
> bottom of the title page reads 73-0000000-00 (?)

A Mystery NE2k workalike, then. And it's ISA. Yurk. At least it isn't
PnP ...

>> 7.0 or 7.2?

> I am now using 7.2 if I understand your question correctly.

Excellent!

>> What kernel version are you using?

> 2.4.7-10. Incidentally lsmod is reporting the ne module loaded.

Yep.

OK - first thing to try is the errata kernel. I believe there were some
fixes for NE2k workalikes there.

Red Hat 7.0 actually broke a lot ISA net drivers when it was released,
to the great embarrasment of all :). That should all be fixed now, but
you still encounter the occasional Mystery Card that breaks under the
current driver.

My advice, really, is to put the NE2k ISA card in the junkbox and grab a
cheapy PCI RealTek 8139 based thing for around $30. Or even less these
days, probably.

--
Rob K - Ich mag Chips mit brauner Soße
http://members.optushome.com.au/mammal