[H-GEN] Destination Host Unreachable

Paul Cornford pcornford at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 17 22:48:36 EST 2002

Edwin Groothuis wrote:

>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
>[ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
>[ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
>On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:16:55PM +1000, Paul Cornford wrote:
>
>>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
>>[ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
>>[ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>>
>>Still "Destination Host Unreachable" so no progress here despite
>>numerous attempts over the past 10 months (There was no urgency). I
>>eventually found that my NIC was faulty (I think) and exchanged it for a
>>functional one - and ISA NE2000 compatible. The network consists of my
>>own machine (RH 7.2) and a Win2000 laptop which networks fine with
>>another Win95 machine. Both cards have tested fine (working well in
>>other networks). I have switched cables and the cable I now use is fine
>>(also tested on another network). And yes, I have tried the card in
>>different slots. The link light is just a steady glow.
>>
>>Pinging gives me
>>
>>ping 192.168.0.3
>>PING 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.3) from 192.168.0.1 : 56(84) bytes of data.
>> From 192.168.0.1: Destination Host Unreachable
>> From 192.168.0.1: Destination Host Unreachable
>> From 192.168.0.1: Destination Host Unreachable
>>

>Please do two things:
>1. run tcpdump on your linux machine
>   You probably see a lot of arp-requests which are not answered.

Since running this I have (over the past 5 minutes or so)

13:30:59.395844 apple.fruit.org.au.netbios-dgm >
192.168.0.255.netbios-dgm: NBT
UDP PACKET(138) (DF)
13:30:59.395844 apple.fruit.org.au.netbios-dgm >
192.168.0.255.netbios-dgm: NBT
UDP PACKET(138) (DF)

I got nothing after pinging from the WIN2000 machine. The above came in
later.

I don't know what the equivalent is on Win2000 but the "Local Area
Connection Properties" tool tells me that the card is "working
correctly" and I don't doubt that because it does with the other win
machine.

>   Also, check your arp-table.

I am out of my depth on this one but /etc/sysconfig/arpwatch contains
the single line  OPTIONS="-u pcap". Do you want the contents of
/etc/rc.d/init.d/arpwatch? I can't locate any file called "arp-table".

>2. run tcpdump (whatever it's called) on the windows pc

I don't know where to start looking here.