[H-GEN] Destination Host Unreachable

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sun Feb 17 22:01:32 EST 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:16:55PM +1000, Paul Cornford wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Still "Destination Host Unreachable" so no progress here despite
> numerous attempts over the past 10 months (There was no urgency). I
> eventually found that my NIC was faulty (I think) and exchanged it for a
> functional one - and ISA NE2000 compatible. The network consists of my
> own machine (RH 7.2) and a Win2000 laptop which networks fine with
> another Win95 machine. Both cards have tested fine (working well in
> other networks). I have switched cables and the cable I now use is fine
> (also tested on another network). And yes, I have tried the card in
> different slots. The link light is just a steady glow.
>
> Pinging gives me
>
> ping 192.168.0.3
> PING 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.3) from 192.168.0.1 : 56(84) bytes of data.
>  From 192.168.0.1: Destination Host Unreachable
>  From 192.168.0.1: Destination Host Unreachable
>  From 192.168.0.1: Destination Host Unreachable

Please do two things:
1. run tcpdump on your linux machine
   You probably see a lot of arp-requests which are not answered.
   Also, check your arp-table.
2. run tcpdump (whatever it's called) on the windows pc
   This is the only way to make sure that the packets are received
   on the windows pc and are send back.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org