[H-GEN] smoothwall - dial on demand

Hilton Travis QuarkAudioVisual at gmx.net
Sun Feb 17 21:19:18 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 10:01, Mick Howe wrote:

> > > the problem is that I can't surf or e-mail from linux through smoothwall.
> >
> > Looks like a config problem on the RH 7.1 Linux box - if you can connect
> > to and browse through the firewall on other boxen, it looks like there
> > is a config issue on the RedHat box.  Subnet/DNS/gateway/something.
> >
> I now have dial on demand working as I expect it to.
>
> Would you be so kind as to humour me and itemise the config changes needed by
> file as I am a bit green in this aspect of Linux/Networking.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> /\/\ick

Hi Mick,

I don't know what you have done, so do not know what exactly you are
after.  Basically, the easiest thing to to is to have SmoothWall act as
a DHCP server and config your Linux box to act as a DHCP client, then it
will get all the right settings.  Do not configure a proxy in the RedHat
web browser (unless you are not running Transparent Proxy on Smoothie),
and it should work fine.

Regards,
HiltonT