[H-GEN] Not a valid block device

Paul Cornford pcornford at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 13 20:19:02 EST 2002

I have just installed RH 7.2 on a P166 and now cannot mount the cdrom. I
had no problem installing off the CD ROM and the same machine had RH 6.2
running prior to this installation with CD ROM access.  When I try
mounting it I get the message "mount: /dev/cdrom: is not a valid block
device".

dmesg gives "hdb: SONY CDU4811, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive". I have tried
mounting it manually using "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom" but
still the same error. (The cdrom is on the second IDE port and there is
only one hard drive with one ext3 partition and one swap partition). The
fstab entry is
"/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0".

Everything else appears to be working normally.  Can anyone help me on this?

Regards,

Paul C.