[H-GEN] dhcp issues

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Dec 20 20:55:13 EST 2002

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Sandra Milne wrote:

> At 10:20 21/12/2002 +1000, you wrote:
> > > option domain-name "localhost";
> >
> >Ooohhh...bad juju.  Avoid using "localhost" in this manner.
>
> Yeah I thought as much, but it was just for testing. I normally have a real
> resolving domain name in there (free dynamic dns service)

Ah ok.  I was concerned the use of localhost was upsetting dhcpd.  I still
recommend using a domain that does not appear in the real dns, or using
views under bind9 and having 1 authoriative server for both the internal
view & external view.  Anyway, I digress...

> > > # The other subnet that shares this physical network (OptusNet Cable)
> > > subnet 211.28.173.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> > >    option broadcast-address 211.28.173.255;
> > > }
> >
> >This subnet is sharing the same physical piece of cable as your private
> >lan?
>
> No it's not. HOWEVER, dhcp-2.2.x insisted that I put an entry in for

Ah, that's good.

> >Could we see a network diagram in ascii art?
>
> internal network (192.168.0.0) <--> switch <--> eth0 <--> linux b0x <-->
> eth1 <--> cable modem <--> outside world
> (I can't do real art, ascii art is a challenge)

This is fine :)

> >Could the dhcp client app be listening on eth0 as well?
>
> I was trying to get it to hand out IPs on the static device, and obtain an
> IP on the cable modem. It still obtains the IP on the cable modem with no
> difficulty at all, but it assigns the static device an IP from the dynamic
> range for some weird reason.

As someone else suggested, I'd look at trying pump as a dhcp client.  I've
found it to be very robust.

If the problem continues you'll need to start isolating components to see
when/if the problem stops occuring.  This will give big clues as to the
cause.

Is it possible ti side-step the problem?  Could another box act as dhcp
server.  If you have a fileserver which is seperate from the firewall(
highly recommended) then this would be a better place for dhcpd.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119