[H-GEN] Linux & NTFS

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Dec 16 10:01:58 EST 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Michael Anthon wrote:

> To answer your question, if you have a system with 256M of RAM and all you
> ever do is run it as a desktop using X and a couple of apps then you will
> probably never use any swap anyway.

Depends.  Many swap algorithms (and Linux for one has had many over the
years) will eventually swap even on lightly loaded systems.  If something
has been inactive but taking up memory for a long time, why not swap it
out and use the memory more productively for caching.  Under Linux you can
play in /proc to make the system swap more aggressively (or less
aggressively, etc).  I'm sure other OSes have similar capabilities.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119