[H-GEN] Linux & NTFS

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Mon Dec 16 06:14:31 EST 2002

> I ask is that 512MB of Swap is an awful lot. If you use the
> rule of thumb of double the RAM as the Swap that is/was
> common with smaller RAM sizes, this makes what I would
> consider HUGE swaps. Any comments and suggestions would be
> mostly welcome.

The problem with this "rule of thumb" is that it's real meaning has become
corrupted over time.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but my
understanding of this rule was more along the lines of "work out how much
memory your system needs to run what you want it to run and then ensure that
at least 1/3 of that is physical RAM".  This rule was derived when RAM was a
lot more expensive than it is now and was intended to reduce the costs of a
system.

To answer your question, if you have a system with 256M of RAM and all you
ever do is run it as a desktop using X and a couple of apps then you will
probably never use any swap anyway.

Cheers
Michael