[H-GEN] Changing Partition Sizes

David Starkoff dbs at uq.net.au
Sat Aug 31 04:11:54 EDT 2002

At 2002-08-31T17:36+1000, Rick Phillips wrote:

> Subject: [H-GEN] Changing Partition Sizes

I know this is a peeve that others may not share, but if you (that's
not "you" personally, it's the general you) want to start a completely
new thread by replying to a message, please take the time to prune
your headers.

It's much neater for those with threaded mail readers.

> Is there an easy way to change the size of a partition without
> damaging data on the surrounding partitions such as one can do with
> (say) Partition Magic?
>
> I do have PM7 but it only works with Ext2 whereas I am using EXT3

ext3 is ext2 with a journal file.  They have the same partition
types (at least they do on my boxes).

  <http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/>

You can turn an ext2 file system into an ext3 file system with an
invocation of tune2fs.  You can treat an ext3 file system as an ext2
file system by mounting it as an ext2 file system.

That said, perhaps GNU parted will do what you wish:

  <http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/>

or maybe Mandrake's DiskDrake:

  <http://www.mandrakelinux.com/diskdrake/>

(Caveat: I have used neither.)

David.
--
  "At least that's what we thought until we added the floppy hat of
   research to our flared pants-suit of investigation and discovered