[H-GEN] Linux related work in Bris vegas?

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 26 22:36:15 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 09:54, Paul Gearon wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Ben Martin wrote:
>
> > > That sounds more like a sysadmin interview.  When you're writing code
> > > you're either developing for Linux or you aren't.
> >
> > Most of those interviews were for Java work, because I haven't really
> > seen many companies actually looking for C++ Linux coders in Bris vegas.
>
> Oh, Java.  Well THAT's different.  "Yes, we want it to be able to run on
> Windows, Solaris, Linux and Mac.  No, we only have Windows PCs.  Why do
> you ask?"
>
> There are indeed C++ positions on Linux in Brisbane.  OK, I'm being a
> smartass here, because I have one such position.  I must say I find it a
> far more pleasurable working environment than working on Windows, since
> the OS always behaves consistently.

For me its also the fact that I'm "used" to it. The xemacs/gcc combo
instead of the vstudio stuff.

> Most systems that I've seen that require some sort of computer control are
> being done with C++, and are not done on Windows.  It's not always on
> Linux (though it often is), however it's normally a Posix environment.
> (no comments about Posix subsystems in unnamed operating systems please...
> shudder)

heh, folks keep threatening to use said "posix" subsystem to port
libferris to the evil empire but I'll believe that when I see it.

> > > Well maybe that's not quite true if you're trying to write portable code,
> > > but if you're on an embedded system then it certainly is.  :-)
> >
> > hehehehe. well, if you cast aside the monstered versions of Linux to not
> > have a MMU etc. :) Linux!=Linux or something <beavis/>
>
> Ummmm, what do you mean "monstered"?  It's a perfectly legitimate cost
> saving to not have an MMU in an embedded system, and why SHOULDN'T Linux
> be able to run on such things?  In fact, when you compare uCLinux to the
> main kernel tree, the changes to the core kernel are very, very few, and
> completely isolated from the rest of the kernel.  The only effective
> differences from usercode perspective are:
>
> - Segfaulting doesn't happen. Instead you either crash another program or
> corrupt the kernel (but our programs never segfault... right?)  :-)

This is one of the major ones. I have seen folks strcpy() to a const
char* on the stack before, I always like a little entropy in my life,
but that is just too much fun. I guess this one depends on how
comfortable you are with the other folks who have cvs write access.

The lack of shared libraries is a real kicker, but I definately see a
case for a tiny single app embedded system without MMU, its just when
the marketoids start adding stuff and soon you have 6-8 people hacking
the code and many apps to run and the mess starts piling up.

> - You get shared memory for free (OK, I will personally flay alive anyone
> I catch doing this.... but it's kinda cool)  :-)

Ah, obviously not an Amiga programmer (-; Or an asm coder for that
matter: Why should I malloc() the RAM, I can generate a unused address
myself!

http://witme.sourceforge.net/libferris.web/