[H-GEN] Linux related work in Bris vegas?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Mon Aug 26 03:42:19 EDT 2002

Ben Martin wrote:

| The main problem I've had there is that most companies (from what I have
| seen) want the 'feel good' factor of Linux, ie. the perception that they
| are keeping up with things and not missing any developments. But they
| don't *really* want it. So they end up with a token 486 running
| Linux+apache and claim that the company is Linux friendly. It may just
| be that I've had a bad run of interviews.

I can't really speak about Brisbane since the last thing I
wanted when I arrived here was more work, but from what I've
seen in the larger capitals, it sounds as though you've just
found some of the less attractive jobs.  My experience is that,
provided you are actually good and not just imagining it, good
work is readily available in all major cities (and some minor
ones).  It's easiest found by networking, but agencies and head
hunters also work (although I do wish the Foxboro head hunters
would stop offering me work there).

Greg