[H-GEN] Should I NTP reference clock driver?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Mon Aug 19 09:01:28 EDT 2002

ben.carlyle at invensys.com wrote:

| I have a situation where I want to synchronise clocks. I have a number of
| sun machines that really want to know the time in something approaching
| millisecond accuracy.

Bruce has already said most of what I would have said.  A couple
of extra points might be worth a mention.

Millisecond accuracy over extended periods is difficult with NTP
if you mean single millisecond accuracy and if your network is
fairly extended and if your hosts have crappy clocks anyway.

As you eliminate elements from this list, you can improve your
time keeping performance, but it's non-trivial and NTP is not as
good as its creators would like to believe.

I have had better results using software from another source,
but I doubt if it's really suited to your project and I'm
hesitant to mention it -- partly because I currently use NTP on
all my networks rather than the alternative and partly because I
have been counselled against mentioning its source on Humbug
lists.

Greg