[H-GEN] Job Searching

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Aug 15 23:30:49 EDT 2002

As a quick note to the folks looking for Linux-related work in
Brisbane:  don't discount the excellent library you have at your
disposal.

As part of my campaign to network here in the Rochester/Buffalo area,
I dropped into one of the larger libraries in town to find contact
information about businesses in the area.

One publication, a "list of lists" was very useful---a Rochester
business journal publishes a "list" every month, which is a ranking of
companies according to a specific metric:  largest computer resellers,
web design firms ranked by number of West New York employees, the
largest employers in the state[1], and so on.  Each company in a list
gives address and ranking executive officer contact information.  Very
useful.

Another was a partial list of all the research centers around the
state; one large volume giving a one or two paragraph precis of each
center, and a (slightly) smaller volume which indexed each of them by
various means, most notably geographically.

By carefully noting who scored where on the Lists, I've got probably a
dozen candidates for further research, and the photocopies of the list
of research centers gives me another few dozen (if slightly more
improbable) places to examine.

The last publication was a quick listing of all known associations in
the area.  I had *no idea* I could try to join the local Magician's
association (87th order, or something like that).

Naturally this isn't *immediately* applicable to finding work in
Brisbane, but I sure wish I'd bothered to look up this sort of thing
when I needed work back in March.

jason

[1] : Predictably enough, the top of this list turns out to be the
      state, federal and municipal governments.
--
| ``Ooooaah!                                                            |