[H-GEN] Linux related work in Bris vegas?

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Aug 11 22:17:51 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 21:52, Matthew Taylor wrote:

> this should devolve to chat?
>
> Robert Stanford wrote:
>
> >I remember reading IBM was going to expand its security research centre
> >somewhere in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area to/by around 150 people.
> >
> I came across some QA type jobs advertised under an agencies name a
> while ago, a telecon revealed they were recruiting for 'an office IBM
> was establishing on the Gold Coast'.

This is very interesting because IIRC IBM closed down its research
center at the research park near bond uni only a few years ago. (I think
it was IBM?)

> A few trends I've noticed over the last few years,
>
> - few 'blue chip' employers actually advertise jobs directly. There are
> so many agencies these days they seem (?) to use the agencies as a
> screen. [this is not something I think much of.]

It always puzzled me too, I mean the agent is not going to help either
me or the employer... the agent tries to play down what I earn and rip
off the employer, not something I'd be jumping at if I wanted smart
motivated staff :/

> - some agencies tend to advertise jobs their clients have not committed
> to filling on the offchance someone will materialise they decide they
> just have to have.

heh, been to a few interviews like that. Wouldn't mind so much if the
agent told be it was a outside chance, not a "they read your CV and
really love you". Reminds me of the high school "Mary sue really likes
you because she told me so".

> - some of the older more established agencies have become publically
> listed companies. (so now we have agencies who do not actually produce a
> physical product nor employ people in 'real' jobs becoming publically
> listed companies?)

Ah, the dot com of the new century ;)

> As I'm sure many others will relate most 'agents' will most likely not
> have your long term career interests at heart. Those that are capable of
> this move on to become HR managers in companies with a sizable staff
> level. (Dilbert PHB breeding grounds perhaps?)

More catbert isn't it <evil director of HR/>

http://witme.sourceforge.net/libferris.web/