[H-GEN] named on RedHat 7.x

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Thu Aug 8 19:26:29 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 08:00:23PM +1000, Joel Michael wrote:
> I'm guessing, it's probably BIND 9.x?  And the same version of BIND on
> the Solaris and HP boxen?  If so, it's probably due to the different way
> that Linux and Solaris (I don't know about HP, I have barely used it)
> report thread processes.  Linux tends to show each thread as a separate
> process, while Solaris tends to show a single process (noting that it
> has many threads).

From[1] memory it depends on how you thread your process[2]. I'm not
interested enough to dig up the source and have a peek, but it appears
named just forked itself to sort seperation of tasks and privileges
out.

Output of "ps ax --forest" on a name server shows

12499 ?        S      0:00 named -u named
12501 ?        S      0:00  \_ named -u named
12502 ?        S      0:06      \_ named -u named
12503 ?        S      0:00      \_ named -u named
12504 ?        S      0:00      \_ named -u named

Apache does a similar sort of thing, as do many other products.

[1] Has the > From quoting kludge in email ever bothered anyone else?
[2] Programmers please correct me here...

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Bytecomm Pty Ltd