[H-GEN] named on RedHat 7.x

Ewan Edwards Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com
Thu Aug 8 03:41:19 EDT 2002

A colleague of mine has recently setup DNS on a RedHat box at home and
has asked why the default setup seems to have 5 instances of named running
from start up.  I don't yet know anything about configuring bind so I'm
hoping some one on this list can help me answer the question.

I assume that if there is no good reason to maintain 5 instances, the next
question will be asking how to configure it to run, say, only one instance.

I've had a look on the network here at a Solaris box and a HPUX box both
running bind and seen that both have only the one instance running, so I
guess it isn't necessary to run multiple instances.

Any words of wisdom to guide the un-enlightened ones?

--
Ewan Edwards BE MIEAust CPEng MCSE
MineStar Solutions
Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com
Telephone: +61 (0) 7 3303 3554
Facsimile: +61 (0) 7 3303 3470
Growing old may be mandatory, but growing up is still optional.
This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is
confidential information.  If you have received this transmission in
error, please delete it and notify the sender.  The contents of this
e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the
Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.