[H-GEN] Irc server

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Thu Aug 1 05:56:47 EDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Martin C wrote:

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/191/06/1.html

> Having combed through the documentation I can not find info on how to create
> channels,.. sure once a user joins and creates a channel then that works.

Yes.  Unless you have something that retains the channel, the channel
vanishes when nobody is on the channel.

> but how do you actually make channels that are permanent?

You want to have something that retains the channel, from a simple bot
(running on the irc host for preference) such as eggdrop, to some sort of
service such as the OpenProjects Services code.

> >From what I understand, IRC is a whole network of interconnected servers, my
> humble server is only for small number of users (friends) -> this I assume
> would mean that my server is a hub???

Correct.

> Also, possibly should have asked this first off, can anyone recommend a good
> IRCD server? something not too complex (i doubt this server will have more
> then 40 users at any time). Possibly something web based?

The code at http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~aps100/dancer/ (linked from
http://www.openprojects.net) is 'good', but might be a bit too complex.

'Web based' doesn't work well with 'I need to install and configure a
non-web-based service such as irc' ;)

[snip 47 lines quoted in error]

--==--
Bruce.