[H-GEN] P4 vs Athlon

Rick Phillips rickp at universal.net.au
Tue Apr 30 20:30:26 EDT 2002

> Hi All,
> over the next few months my son and I will be building a new box with the
aim
> of being able to write divx stuff in as fast as can be reasonably achieved
> with some economy.
> He has been as advised by some person who may be something of an expert
that:
> 1. The Athlon is faster than the P4 of the same clock speed for games
whereby
t> he cpu is running to it's maximum capability only for short bursts.

I have yet to see an Athlon (Thunderbird or XP) max out on anything.
I am currently running an XP 1900+ but have run AMD for many years.
For my money, and having read many, many reviews where real life
work was carried out on these CPU's, I would choose AMD every time.
Part of our business does heavy graphics and we have no problems.
We also build computers for a living and I can't remember when we built the
last
Pentium anything.  None of our customers have had any problems.

> 2. When creating divxs the cpu is maxed out for long times. In this case
the
> Athlon overheats and chokes back to about half clock speed making the P4
the
> superior cpu for this application.

Have never seen it happen.

One of the great advantages of AMD is that the same socket is good for Duron
and
Athlon and upgrading is easy.  Intel on the other hand currently have 3
sockets
"on the go" at the moment somewhat limiting your ability to upgrade from say
Celeron to Pentium 4.

The only disadvantage I have found with AMD is that you require a high
revving fan
and if you don't choose carefully, the noise will drive you mad.

Rick Phillips