[H-GEN] How do I bounce spam?

Sat Apr 27 07:37:09 EDT 2002

Bob,

> I am running Mandrake 8.1 and I normally use Kmail for my e-mail client.
> After receiving some spam the other day with a 900+ kb attachment I noticed
> that KMail has a bounce facility so I did just that succesfully.

That "bounce" is probably more accurately called "re-send".  You
may have done something that you did not expect...

> My question is is this, is there some way that I can download the headers
> together with information showing the total message size etc, and then bounce
> selected messages from the server without the 2 way transfer I had to do
> above.
> Failing that is there a way to delete this rubbish on the server without the
> download step.
> I'm not really interested in spam filters at my end, it's the actual download
> I want to avoid.

This sounds like you are using POP3.  This protocol is flexible
enough for you to delete these emails without downloading them;
however, offhand I don't know of any tools to do this under
GNU/Linux.

A quick "apt-cache search POP3" on my Debian host finds a small
utility called "popcheck" that seems to be what you want:

    http://www.algonet.se/~staham/linux/programs.html

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
gpg key id F2FEBB36 | you realise that what you  heard  is not
mobile 0411 262 316 | what I meant.        Robert J. McCloskey