[H-GEN] surplus blank Cd's (selling cheap)+life of cd burners?

Matthew bmatthewtaylor at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 18:15:55 EDT 2002

I read somewhere CD burners 'typically' have a Mean Time Between Failure
of 25,000 to 30,000hrs at 25% duty cycle. anybody on this list
experienced a cd burner failure? (just curious)

I recently purchased 100 blank cd's that for some reason simply will not
burn on my Acer cdrw 8x4x32.
(100% fail at even the slowest burn rate, 3 other types of CD blanks
have 100% success rate on the above cd burner.)

The CD's are 650Mb, white matt finish (writable with soft pencil or
printable) 'silver' finish.

I have only tried my bad cd's on one other CD Burner an old 2speed write
only, JVC 50 pin SCSI. (it worked OK on one burn)

I paid $70 for 100, and if we can prove they work on your CD burner I'm
keen to sell them off. ($ to be negotiated, lot sizes negotiable, but
I'm more than happy to give generous discounts to those humbuggers who
have helped me in the past)

The shop has told me they will not refund, but admit they have
occasionally heard of certain cd blanks and cd burners being
incompatible. My guess is that the matt finish is the cause of my woes,
who knows....

Mat.