[H-GEN] Re: HTML email

Ewan Edwards Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com
Fri Apr 19 03:26:51 EDT 2002

On Friday 19 April 2002 16:03, you wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of using *nix to access the net. I
> need to use Windows simply because of the functionality of IE. There are
> things that IE does that none of the *nix browsers do and some of the
> people I work with write their web pages that way.

I have run across a number of web sites in recent times that seem to be
designed for IE only (ie: they don't work in Konqueror or Nutscrape).  In a
lot of cases I have sent a polite email to the 'webmaster' pointing out the
lack of compatibility and possible lack of standards adherence in his/her
page design.

A few have responded in a positive fashion.  A few have responded by advising
that I download and use the latest IE - and this is after explaining that my
desktop machine is not Windows or Solaris.  (Yes, there is a version of IE
for Solaris available.)  Most have not responded at all.

On two or three occasions I've even gone to the trouble of referring the
'webmaster' to http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/ for guidance.  My email to
AMD got a very positive response, followed (within a week) by a substantial
improvement in the way their site appeared in Nutscrape.

To put it another way, there is no excuse for producing 'IE only' web pages.

With the right approach, it is possible to get people to think outside that
tiny little M$ view of the world.  Admittedly, you're unlikely to get all
people to think that way, but some is better than none.  Point out the facts
in a polite and reasonable manner and you might be surprised with the results.

--
Ewan Edwards BE MIEAust CPEng MCSE
Development Support Engineer
Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com
Telephone: +61 (0) 7 3303 3554
Facsimile: +61 (0) 7 3303 3470
http://www.mincom.com
Mincom. The People. The Experience. The Vision.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how much it may
differ from mine.
information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
it and notify the sender.  The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the
writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless
expressly stated otherwise.