[H-GEN] Forming a consultancy [was: New HD in Sunblade 100]

Ian Pulsford ianjp at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 18 06:29:59 EDT 2002

Perhaps this could be a topic for a HUMBUG talk.  Technical information
can be gleaned from HOWTOs and other sources; this sort of personal
experience can only be spread by those who have lived it.

Some things I would like to know:

	* Going about setting up business structures (pricing etc.),
	* Common types of jobs/contracts,
	* Finding those jobs,
	* Finding contacts that lead to jobs,
	* Working with partners,
	* Getting suppliers etc.

I have money in the bank so I am not too concerned about irregular
income.  Is it not more important to do something you love and accept
some sacrifices than do something that bores you greatly (but has a
regular but piddly income)?  Sorry to sound like a French movie.  The
main thing that is holding me back is that I don't have any experience
in this kind of thing.  I would definately want partners/mentors to
begin with even casual partners like a loose alliance helping each other
with jobs.

Ian