[H-GEN] sendmail aliases

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Mon Apr 15 05:16:39 EDT 2002

On Mon Apr 15 2002 at 14:29, Nikolai Lusan wrote:

> Actually the aliases relate to mail being delivered for the local
> machine. In the example you provide the email address
> ewane@<insert_machine_name> is being sent on to
> ewane at tenmail.mincom.oz.au, this is ferfectly fine and quite normal. To
> say that the alias is not legal is simply wrong and misleading.

Ok, I'll take back my obviously incorrect conclusions on this point.
It never worked for me when I was attempting to do this in the past,
so that is the conclusion I came to.  I found other ways to achieve
the same thing.

> Wrong again, please clear up your misconceptions about how the aliases
> file works - the mail does not need to be destined for a local mailbox,
> it simply needs to be accepted for delivery to a domain hosted on that
> machine.

Ahh, I see... that's a subtle difference.  Now I can understand the
reasons why my previous attempts to use this were failing (the
forwarding addresses were not local domains).  Thanks for clearing
up this misconception for me.

(I don't mind wearning a little egg on my face if I'm learning
something along the way :-)

Cheers
Tony