[H-GEN] ae ???

Robert Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Mon Apr 8 23:13:33 EDT 2002

Tony Bilbrough wrote:

> Well it seems that at long last this discussion has got up to the sort
> of level that the real amatuers/newbies can grasp. And, I think, what
> the original question was really all about!

Welcome to the world of deep hackerdom, where opinion is fact and fact
is relative!

It's not uncommon for these sort of conversations to wander off into
uncharted territory. Sometimes by doing so, we learn something new, or
invent something interesting. Sometimes, we even bring back something of
value.

> Most of you seem to have wandered off into really esoteric realms, with
> little connection or understanding, to the problem the unloved and un
> washed really have.

Indeed, and an interesting tangent it was.

> It is to find a really simple to use wysiwyg editor, with the minimum
> learning curve.

The issue I have with that is that unless you're talking pure,
unadulterated text, be it ascii or utf-8 or similar, there is just no
such thing as a wysiwyg editor.

(see, there's that opinion thing again)

> All that said, Sandra , can you do us all 'show' on nano and pico, so we
> can compare them to aee?
> And - are nano & pico on RH7.1 distro? I'm pretty sure I remember you
> saying that you used RH.

pico is, nano isn't. It's easy enough to install.

If you really *must* use pico to edit system files, then at least invoke
it with -w.

If you really *must* use joe to edit system files, then at least
configure it to turn off backups (the tilda-blah problem).

> I have really been struggling to master vi. There just seem to be so
> many little twists to learn.

Treat it as an adventure game, then. At the very least, there's always

<ESC>q!<ENTER>

--
Rob K - Ich mag Chips mit brauner Soße
http://members.optushome.com.au/mammal