[H-GEN] Simple Linux editors

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Mon Apr 8 03:49:31 EDT 2002

Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> writes:

> To put this into perspective, I think it's worth making the
> point that ed is often the only tool available for emergency
> editing and that no competent sys admin (or programmer) will be
> troubled at the thought of using it.

[snip great argument and wonderful set of examples]

Well, everyone has their hammer, it would appear.  I can remember
making an ed script to run as a -exec argument to a find, once; I
think I wanted to insert boilerplate text (a license?) into a set of
header files.  I can't remember why I didn't simply use Perl;.

That said, you're also talking to the man who installed emacs on a
remote but well-connected machine just to get ediff-mode to make some
merges on a critically important configuration file.
--
|                                                      jasonp at uq.net.au |