[H-GEN] recommendation for harddrive repair

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sat Apr 6 21:56:54 EST 2002

[ lmth.etteuqiten/ua.gro.gubmuh.www//:ptth :gnidnatsrednu elihwhtroW ]
[           .retrahc s'tsil eht evresbo esaelP  .scipot detaler-xinU ]
[  dna gubmuH tuoba snoissucsid suoires-imes - tsil *lareneG* gubmuH ]

As Sandra said, one is Roshtech at Duncan Street, West End...the guy to talk
to is Miguel. I found them easy to deal with but alas the hard drive I was
trying to recover from is still keeping its data very, very, very secure.

Roshtech charge $115 an hour.

Another crew who do a lot of this is Doctor Disk phone 1800 647 103.

Both of these use software recovery and if the disk is spinning they stand a
chance but when it comes to serious recovery they usually send to Sydney (P2
offer a service that is $330 up front and this covers the first two hours
and is not refunded irrespective of the result. They also can swap platters
and have a clean room etc). Doctor Disk usually recommends a company in
Melbourne - Precision Data Services I think it is - and they quote maybe
$2,000 or more for a significant recovery.

As an update on the drive I was working on...I have not had success but have
decided against opening the drive here...the people involved are considering
whether it is really worth the dollars to send it south for a recovery
attempt. Thanks for all who responded with ideas I tried everything
(including sticking it in the freezer for a while - courtesty of Rick- and
warming it up in the sun) but unfortunately nothing worked.

Regqards

Frank Brand