[H-GEN] Spamassassin performance tests

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Sat Apr 6 09:35:01 EST 2002

Robert Brockway wrote:

> 100 simultaneous instances of spamassassin was having a significant effect
> on my K6-233 fileserver.

I discovered this the hard way, I did a run which generates much email
and my p233-MMX desktop slowed to a crawl as it's load topped 15 :)

> today I conducted some performance tests on Spamassassin vs its
> spamc/spamd pair that are supposed to improve performance.  The different
> is amazing.  It took maybe 200 messages running the conventional
> spamassassin mechanism to drop my server blake to its knees.  As for
> spamc/spamd well I'm part way through sending 2000+ emails to my test
> users and so far it is doing it on its ear :)

This may sound like an odd question but how where you using
spamassassin? I have it configured using the spamass-milter plugin for
sendmail (which uses spamc) and I get large load increases when heaps of
mail is delivered. The milter also seems to slow sendmail down over time
(the mail sever for a non-profit organisation I do stuff for has
spammass-milter on it and while the load doesn't go up th time it takes
sendmail to do stuff does). Given that you seem to have found a way
remedy this situation I would be interested to know how.

Nikolai