[H-GEN] Wanted to buy

Sandra Milne silne at optushome.com.au
Wed Sep 12 20:45:55 EDT 2001

At 09:44 13/09/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>Also I have a young school aged friend converting from Macintosh to Linux
>and he has managed to collect most of the bits he needs for a gaming system
>he wants to impress his Windoze mates with (based on an old 200mhz
>motherboard his uncle passed onto him.  He has his heart set on a voodoo 3
>card with 16mb. Being a Macophile myself and only having used basic S3
>compatible video cards in the two boxes I've been experimenting on I don't
>know if a spare one of those I have will suit his needs. Again anyone have
>such a spare card lying around?

an S3 will be fine, but he'll need to find a voodoo 2 to use with it. the
older S3 cards are 2d only, and for gaming you definitely want something
that can display in 3d. also, depending on which games your friend wants to
play, a pentium 200 just won't cut it. I play (or rather try to play) the
latest games on my K6-2-400 and sometimes the system lag is just too much.
I doubt he'll be able to play anything more recent than quake 3, and that
not well. Unfortunately if you want to play windoze games, you need a top
of the line system. Sad but true :-(

Sandra.

silne at optushome.com.au
ICQ: 7632763