[H-GEN] Wanted to buy

Robert Durand gosane at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 12 19:44:51 EDT 2001

Hi,

I'm having problems with what i think to be a dodgy disk - odd squeaking
sounds emitted by the disk as it tries to seek. The Mandrake system I've
installed will sometimes boot fine, or at other times it will boot with a
cursor that jumps all over the place and often a boot will not succeed.
It's a dual boot Wondoze '95 system, and yes that works mostly fine but
with occasional delays as the disk makes it's odd noises and the occasional
corrupted file when doing a large copy over the ethernet connection.

The disk is an old 2gig drive i scavenged from a second hand box and was
wondering if anyone had a spare disk smaller than 8gig, which I expect is
the limit of the100Mhz pentium motherboard. I can't find anyone that sells
a new drive smaller than 10gig and as this is only a machine I am using to
experiment with I'm not inclined to spend much on it.

Also I have a young school aged friend converting from Macintosh to Linux
and he has managed to collect most of the bits he needs for a gaming system
he wants to impress his Windoze mates with (based on an old 200mhz
motherboard his uncle passed onto him.  He has his heart set on a voodoo 3
card with 16mb. Being a Macophile myself and only having used basic S3
compatible video cards in the two boxes I've been experimenting on I don't
know if a spare one of those I have will suit his needs. Again anyone have
such a spare card lying around?

Cheers
Robert