[H-GEN] Perl Novitiates (was: CGI Troubles.)

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Mon May 14 23:41:52 EDT 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:06:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> aj (CGI.pm is *very* bloated and slow and memory hoggish. It turns out to
>     be much, much, much better to just use prints and such by hand. Or at
>     least, that's what happened wrt the Debian bug tracking system CGIs)

Be that as it may, CGI.pm is also the only bit of code that does CGI in
Perl *properly*.  Randal is on the record as saying he's found a bug in
every other implementation.

There's no requirement it be bloated---there's support for loading bits
and pieces as you go---and if you need raw speed Perl is perhaps not
the best choice of language anyway, or you should use mod_perl, which
does a good job but requires you to be a careful programmer.

No, I am not volunteering to do the rewrite.  My point is most novices
are not at all ready to deal with the complexity of CGI themselves.
A module that is complete and *correct* is far better than a fast and
broken script.

The Debian BTS is a different kettle of carp.
--
| Jason Henry Parker                      play:        jasonp at uq.net.au |