[H-GEN] Accessing large disks using an old BIOS

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun May 6 01:50:07 EDT 2001

I just checked the IBM and Quantum sites and there are versions for download
there.

I have not used it on Linux but it sits in front of the disk boot and after
the BIOS is read so I am not sure why it would not work with Linux. At the
stage that the disk geometry is established no OS has yet been loaded.
Probably if you just wanted to use MBR the Disk Manager software (which IIRC
sits in the MBR) may be overwritten.

>we used the ibm one last year for a 30 gig drive in a pentium 166 and it
>worked fine with linux.... however we had to use lilo instead of MBR to
>boot the computer.

Frank Brand