[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] **Venue Change** for this Saturday's HUMBUG Meeting

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Fri Mar 30 08:48:10 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 11:02:21AM +1000, Raymond Smith wrote:
> The plans for a CORBA talk have been shelved for this week as we cannot
> get another room for the talk. My apologies to DSIG participants.

Just as well as I amongst others can't make it this week; better late than
never ;-)

> There will be an informal discussion about how to support new members
> around 6pm at the main meeting. The goal of this meeting is to get some
> ideas about what new members would like, what new members can do to avoid
> being annoying, what old members can do to help new members.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I might point out right here the
fact that the club also has an issue with veteran members "drifting off"
as well, due possibly in part to a perception that club activities are
perhaps less relevant to their interests in computing and UNIX these days.

Sure, activities such as DSIG are reversing this apparent trend, but I
think that the issue of supporting the interests of long-time members
(and keeping club activities relevant and focused), are equally as
important as the issue of attracting new interest in the club and it's
activities.

It's worth a thought.

-warmest regards,

Ben.