[H-GEN] Getting ADSL going under Debian

David Jericho davidj at webmatchit.com.au
Tue Mar 20 18:30:45 EST 2001

David Findlay <david_j_findlay at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I tried it with pppoe from debian, but found that roaring penguin pppoe
> is  easier to use, so because it wasn't my machine I decided to go with
> that,  because it is easy for him to keep going.

Um, the pppoe that comes with debian stable is rp-pppoe :)

> Just one last question: Telstra kicks you off the ADSL every 24 hours,
> do you  reckon a cron job at midnight to disconnect and then reconnect
> would be a  good idea? At the moment 24 hours falls right in the middle
> of the time he is  likely to be using the net, so I was thinking about
> doing this to keep it  going. Thanks,

Mar 20 15:53:55 set pppd[24573]: Connect time 24990.4 minutes.

That's 2 minutes 24 seconds shy of 2 weeks, 3 days and 7 hours.

In anycase, the rp-pppoe has a heartbeat and timeout monitor that works
quite well. I've found with a little tweaking, you can have a minimally
disrupted net session even with turning the modem off and on again.

--
David Jericho, Systems Administrator
WebMatchit Interactive Marketing Ltd