[H-GEN] Are host names allowed to start with a numeric identifier?

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Thu Mar 15 23:01:22 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, John Ryland wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:49, Martin Pool wrote:
> >
> > In DNS?  Ask hostmaster at 3com.com.
> >
> > I seem to recall the original standard said they were not, but then it
> > changed.
>
> Or hostmaster at 2600.com :)

Hmm. Two techy organisations that both ignore best practice in favour of
cosmetic domain names. I wonder which is more embarrased to be assoicated
with the other?[1] :-P My money is on 2600.

Raymond

[1] Of course, the true answer is that no one cares besides programmers
    trying to debug crufty libc implementations.